Ngā Kete Matauranga Pounamu Charitable Trust with Kimiora Trust
Ngā Kete Matauranga Pounamu in partnership with Kiritahi Firmin of Kimiora Trust are working to provide tikanga Māori based suicide intervention training, which acknowledges Māori process and affirms Māori communication approaches and strategies that work towards keeping our whānau safe from suicide.
Ngā Kete Matauranga Pounamu in Invercargill is the provider of the Kia Piki te Ora – Māori Suicide Prevention Programme and will lead out the implementation of Kimiora - Tikanga Māori based suicide intervention training in Murihiku and Waitaha.
This project Haramai te Toki – Collaborating for Impact supported people at risk of suicide through identification of risk factors, creation of safe plans, access to networks that can support whānau with emphasis on whānau ora.
Haramai te Toki:
- provided opportunity for whānau to engage, discuss and strengthen their understanding of whakamomori past and present
- explored wairua and tikanga Māori concepts that raise awareness of a Māori worldview, an understanding of mental health and a suicide prevention model that focuses on identity, belonging and a sense of place
- delivered tikanga Māori-based suicide intervention workshops across Waitaha and Murihiku that educate whānau and community on signs, signals, risk factors and protective factors to strengthen Māori suicide prevention
- educated whānau and community on the intervention methods used within the tikanga Māori based suicide intervention training, and
- Practiced the technique to reinforce learning.