Ngāti Tahu Ngāti Whaoa Rūnanga Trust
Ngāti Tahu Ngāti Whaoa Rūnanga Trust is a mandated tribal authority empowered in-part to address the social, cultural, health, education, employment, spiritual and environmental needs of the iwi within our tribal boundaries.
As an iwi, Ngāti Tahu Ngāti Whaoa have had its share of suicide and self-harm incidents. This Waka Hourua project was a proactive response - an iwi response and model to suicide pre - and post - vention focused in, around and for our whānau. It would:
- have a particular focus on mental health and suicide pre- and post- vention strategies
- build the capacity and capability of iwi and community members to champion the work needed to support whānau dealing with suicide
- support the work needed to support and strengthen whānau suicide awareness and prevention activities
- provide opportunities for iwi and the community to share stories of mental illness, suicide narratives and developing community resilience
- create a foundation for collaboration with organisations to foster the longevity of this work in suicide pre- and post- vention.
Ngāti Tahu Ngāti Whaoa are thinking long term in relation to the outcomes and effects of this project, through collaboration between iwi/whānau, the community, and other like-minded organisations to aid in the longevity of this project into the future.