Ringa Atawhai Trust
The Trust’s Waka Hourua Project is four marae-based suicide awareness workshops including resources, trained navigators and community mobilisation for suicide prevention.
The project built on existing marae-based initiatives that:
- address suicide prevention through marae-based PATH Planning workshops, led by trained kaiarahi (navigators) where participants identify potential risk factors and develop their own suicide preventative measures,
- connect the people and agencies with whom Ringa Atawhai Trust liaise and interact,
- harness the skills and knowledge of influential people within communities to bring about change,
- focus on Māori values to empower whānau to share without blame or guilt, and
- build a culturally appropriate resource kit including the names, addresses and phone numbers of all key community support people, organisations and agencies.