Tūwharetoa Ki Kawerau Hauora
This four part project incorporated suicide prevention and post-vention support and training, a youth programme and resources:
- Lifting the Silence – enhance and extend suicide prevention training, such as ASSIST and Mental Health 101, that Te Kupenga Mo Kawerau has already been providing to the community. Te Kupenga mo Kawerau also wish to develop more marae based bereaved support groups.
- From the Inside / Out – over the past two years the Youth Stylze roopu has been working with rangatahi whānau to share their stories, their aim was support to drive further youth initiatives looking at issues from the inside / out.
- The Kawerau Suicide Implementation Strategy had identified a number of resource initiatives which included:
- Facilitating marae based wānanga to develop/deliver educational pathways for rangatahi and whānau champions. Utilising the information from wānanga to design and develop suicide awareness resources/story book.
- Designing and developing a suicide awareness story book as a whanau/marae resource.
- Facilitating a Regional Conference to raise awareness and increase knowledge of suicide prevention, intervention and postvention.
- From the Inside / Out – a documentary involving bereaved whānau, their strategies, therapies and ways of knowing.